Course OutlineDownload Full Course Outline (PDF)
The council executive team has a critical role in relation to abiding by local government financial requirements, monitoring the council’s financial performance, and ensuring its longer-term financial sustainability.
All members of this team therefore need a solid understanding of key accounting and financial principles. This half-day workshop is designed to provide such understanding.
- Basic accounting concepts and principles
- Financial management requirements for local government
- The strategic, financial, and operational plans and their links to financial accountability
- Accounting standards and statutory obligations of councils and senior executives
- Understanding and interpreting financial statements and their links to each other
- Monitoring the performance of your council through trends, ratios and KPIs
- The board’s role in setting budgets, signing off on reports and monitoring performance
- Case studies/skills practice