For nearly 25 years, Peak and the LGAQ have been providing valuable workforce services to all 77 of Queensland’s councils.
Over this time, we have established an intimate working knowledge of the local government industrial relations and human resources context.
Our team can assist with a wide range of industrial relations matters including:
- Advocacy and representation
- Collective bargaining assistance
- Disciplinary process assistance
- Drafting contracts of employment
- General HR and IR support
- HR/IR policies and procedures
- Position description and classification assistance
- Senior executive performance reviews
- Termination and redundancy assistance
- Workplace investigations
Peak provides solutions that are tailored to each council. We work together to understand and deliver your objectives and expectations.
Workplace investigations undertaken by Peak are conducted to the highest standard in accordance with legislative requirements and procedural fairness. We work with local councils to investigate allegations and complaints and provide ongoing support.
Types of investigations include:
- Bullying, harassment and sexual harassment
- Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) referred investigations
- Employee behaviour, misconduct and administrative processes
- Official misconduct and corruption
- Preliminary assessment of complaints prior to referral to relevant tribunal or body
- Review of government department decisions
- Review of administrative action
HR Strategic Advice
Peak regularly provides strategic IR and HR advice to councils through the provision of Workforce Helpline Services as well as assisting councils with the negotiation and implementation of Collective Agreements.
As part of its standard services, Peak develops a ‘Council Bargaining Strategy’ to identify key issues, council priorities, goals, likely problem areas and possible cost savings.
Conflict and Dispute Resolution
Peak helps councils to create and implement Employee Complaints Management Systems in accordance with applicable legislation and guidelines.
Peak also facilitates mediation sessions and offers customisable conflict management courses through our training team.
Our comprehensive industrial relations service offers support for all industrial and dispute matters. We work with government on a daily basis, covering a range of workforce matters, and provide industrial relations expertise at your fingertips.
We can assist with a wide range of advice covering:
- Award/certified agreement interpretation
- Certified agreement negotiation
- Collective bargaining
- Contracts of employment
- Disciplinary action
- Dispute resolution
- Executive contract reviewer
- HR management, policy and practice
- Performance management
- Termination of employment
- Work health and safety
- Workplace investigations
- Wage claims
Peak consultants are highly experienced in the interpretation and application of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (Qld), Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011 (Qld) and Codes of Practice. Peak has also drafted work health and safety policies and procedures to ensure legislative compliance and conducted a number of council investigations into various alleged work health and safety breaches.
HR and legal seminars
Peak presents regular, free human resources and legal seminars for council stakeholders, covering a range of topics such as HR, legal, training, recruitment and superannuation. Seminars are held at four locations across Queensland.
Performance management can be complex and intermittent, which is why Peak offers sensitive, tailored advice to council on performance management issues, including
- CEO Performance reviews
- Procedural fairness
- Reviewing show cause notices
- What procedural steps should be taken when disciplining an employee
- What type of disciplinary action should be taken in particular circumstances.
Our written recommendations include appropriate action and advice on deeds of settlement and release.